Skip to main content

M E B OO HEY!

"Mabuhay" is our way of celebrating a moment. It easily escapes from us into the air to punctuate jubilation. I still have to hear it in a funeral which I guess is quite fitting too as a send-off message to the dearly departed into the afterlife. "Buhay" is life therefore, "Mabuhay" also applies to the afterlife! Anyway... if you happen to be brought here by any eventuality or a misclick or link, allow me to say M A B U H A Y! Welcome to THIRD WORLD LIVING! It is just about anything thirdy . Actually this is really an old concept I cooked up somethime in the early 80s I thought of as vignettes to be compiled as a book but then life got quite complicated that it had to settle for the back burner of a very dirty kitchen somewhere away from civilization.
When I decided that ALIWAN AVENUE [my blog at wordpress for almost 8 years] had reached a level where I wasn't quite excited to freshen it up as I used to; I dug up my thoughts if there were still things that were relevant inspiteof the fleeting timelines of my life; THIRD WORLD LIVING popped up! I am very third world actually. To hatch a nerve and decide to sing again as a torch singer is very third world. Had I been in the first world I would have been famous when I was younger. Now edging into my 59th year [this August 30] in this planet, I feel that reviving a concept that seemingly is negative in context; I own to its destiny and the joy I surely am gonna have posting matters that substantiate the real meaning of THIRD WORLD LIVING! Join me if you must in a journey to south of somewhere... north of nowhere...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THIRD WORLD LIVING ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS

Frankly , I haven't heard of her before the story conference of Howard Yambao's BEST. PARTEE. EVER, entry to last year's QC INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL starring JC De Vera.  JC played a straight-acting gay man caught in nasty broil of Ecstasy addiction and trade.  The film was shot almost in its entirety in the confines of provincial jail where I played a hot headed old fag jailbird. At the conference, as we were introduced, she caught my attention.  Well-made up and in a cocktail dress she amiably smiled at everyone , her name: CATALEYA SURIO.  As we were given a rundown of role assignments, I realized that she was playing a transwoman in for some crime and detained in the male cell.  This was because in the Philippines, a sexually re-assigned is still recognized with what is on one's birth certificate.  Ah, alright. "As far as I remember, I was ALWAYS a girl", Cataleya nonchalantly declares in our online interview.  Orphaned at a very young age, She

XIXI MATURAN : Asia's Hidden Golden Diva

It does sound like a joke. The label is of a level with which only a creative mind can concoct. But . 'Asia's Hidden Golden Diva' was coined by those who have experienced the artistry of Xixi Maturan. Googable and very much into social media, Xixi's alter-ego Paul H Roquia has in almost 25 years indefatigably built an acumen of sorts that involved the rather 'reluctant' vocal stylist in him , developing a musical brew that would perfectly sit on his tenor-ish tone. XIXI MATURAN is not a real person but rather an intriguing character borne out of the hazy, drugged and ambitious energy residue of an artists' group in the 80s.

ON THE SET : Joel Lamangan's 'BES & THE BESHIES' , COMING VERY SOON!

Seven months after shooting Howard Yambao's BEST. PARTEE. EVER. in a slammer in Pampanga; I get to once again be part of a film starring THE COMEDY QUEEN herself, Ms. AIAI DELAS ALAS , with The Joel Lamangan no less at the helm.  A cameo is always welcome; it is a short appearance, with minimal exposure requirements and I get to just be myself or as to how I deem the role should be carried out with.  I play a parlorista who rages on another parlorista [played by Byuti Veloso] ; who I share a chin prominence making us look like twins!  Ms. Aiai's character, a Barangay Kagawad and sort of a 'jane of all trades' pacifies us.  We shot in Proj6, Quezon City and it was a breezy day which made it quite comfortable.  That was on April 2.  I never expected that suddenly I would be called back to do more appearances ; delighted and totally flattered who was I not to oblige? I did three more scenes; two of which were highlights of the hilariously riotous opus that cel