Skip to main content

THIRD WORLD LIVING ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS

Frankly , I haven't heard of her before the story conference of Howard Yambao's BEST. PARTEE. EVER, entry to last year's QC INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL starring JC De Vera.  JC played a straight-acting gay man caught in nasty broil of Ecstasy addiction and trade.  The film was shot almost in its entirety in the confines of provincial jail where I played a hot headed old fag jailbird. At the conference, as we were introduced, she caught my attention.  Well-made up and in a cocktail dress she amiably smiled at everyone , her name: CATALEYA SURIO.  As we were given a rundown of role assignments, I realized that she was playing a transwoman in for some crime and detained in the male cell.  This was because in the Philippines, a sexually re-assigned is still recognized with what is on one's birth certificate.  Ah, alright.

"As far as I remember, I was ALWAYS a girl", Cataleya nonchalantly declares in our online interview.  Orphaned at a very young age, She only had herself to build her childhood dreams and find ways to support her kin.  "I do not have issues with gays, but I keep strong friendships with girls; I do not remember having close gay friends... but I respect them , in which I expect for them to also respect me".  

Trying her luck in the big city and leaving her hometown Catanauan in Quezon was a great challenge.  She did odd jobs until she finally handled a successful overseas employment business.  Finally, realizing her ultimate goal of becoming what she really actually was was just a trip away to Bangkok, she went for it. "It felt like death! The pain was so extreme but I was not daunted since if it was the price I had to pay to become what I really was , it will all be worth it", she gushed as she recounted the procedure.  

After almost four months of total rest after her operation; she was back into the grind and was met with several offers for her to appear in films.  "It was surreal, I did not know how to react to the offers but as I asked around about the industry, I was advised by Larry Castillo, a townmate and producer of several indie films to yes, give it a try and enroll at the first Brilliante Ma. Mendoza workshop".  She was in a culmination film which earned her her The First Brillante Mendoza Workshop Best Actress Award.  " I played a woman in the film, therefore I was in the actress category", she beamed.  Clearly, there shouldn't be any controversy with this, since in the realm of films, what you portray is what you are and shall be properly acknowledged as such.  Looking back now with her several acting outings, Cataleya played women roles and it was only in BEST. PARTEE. EVER. where she was counted as a transwoman.   

Having been in the business for two fruitful years, Cataleya is all amazed with what has suddenly happened . "Blessed.  I feel so blessed with the wonderful things that have come to my life.  In a film with James Lomahan where I played his wife, he disappeared in the set only to come back and present me with fruits; Doing risque sequences with my male leads is a breeze since they all take care of me so sweetly.  I never felt a bit of being taken advantaged of; I guess because they also feel that I respect them and make sure that they are at ease doing intimate scenes with me". She admits that there was an incident  when she got confused  in an unfinished project where she was made to be  exposed to the elements in a mountain top flimsily dressed and segueing into a bonfire totally greased. "Totally unforgettable, because I got very sick!" That experience gave her more confidence that she can handle any role thrown her way.  "I can be anything, if the role calls for me to disrobe, I will for art's sake but with strong convictions that it embraces  aesthetic requirements and of decency,"  She has since earned several acting awards in several festivals and a staple in student films.


There may be other actors of her vein, but definitely CATALEYA SURIO knows what she wants in her career, her life and the imagery she paints in the industry.

FILMOGRAPHY.

Full Lenght.
1.Ma'Rosa by Brillante Mendozs. ( Cannes Film Festival Finalist )
2.Hamog by Ralston Jover ( Cinema One Originals Finalist )
3.Pitong Kabang Palay by Maricel Cariaga ( 1st Tofarm Film Festival Finalist )
4.Best.Partee.Ever. by Howard Yambao ( Qcinema Film Festival Finalist )
5.Ladyfish by Jason Orfalas ( Sinag Maynila Film Festival Finalist )
6.Sa Akin Ang Korona by Zig Dulay
7.Rolyo by  Cc Woodruff Jr. ( Carlos Morales Film )

Shorts.
1.Hangman by Sen Vargas ( BMFW Batch2 Best Actress )
2.Ensay by Isobel Villablanca.
3.Taytay,Naynay by Jay Medina ( Best Director )
4.Pinoy Custom by Antonio Dimaguila Jr.
5.Yapak by Rafael
6.Finish Line by Martin Mayuga
7.Ang Bangkay Ni Papa P. by Martin Mayuga ( Benildean Film Market )
8.Pechay Baguio by Martin Mayuga.
9.Pira-Piraso by Martin Mayuga.
10.BalikBayan Box by Martin Mayuga.
11.Far Away by Martin Mayuga ( Sorok Short Film Festival Finalist )
12.Babuyan by Martin Mayuga ( CineMapua Film Festival 2017 Best Actress and 4th Best Film )
13.Sud Sa Ginhawaan by Martin Mayuga ( Thesis Film A finalist too from a diffrent festival local and international.
14.TransParent by Adelaine Clemente ( Sorok Gold Awards,Best Director and 2nd
Prize last Globe Independent Film Festival )
15.Sayaw Sa Alapasp by UP Film Makers
16.Ang Lalaki sa Aparador by Jojo Nadela
17.Temporary Title by Trent Joshua Asuncion
18.Limang Oras by Maricel Cariaga.
19.Desire by Renzo Rosario.
20.Tulay Buhay by Arenz Dionela ( Sinag Maynila Film Festival Short Film Category Finalist )



Awards And Nominations
1.Brillante Mendoza Film Workshop Batch 2 Best Actress for Hangman by  Sen Vargas.
2.CineMapua Film Festival 2016 Best Actress for Finish Line by Martin Mayuga.
3.CineMapua Film Festival 2017 Best Actress for Babuyan by Martin Mayuga.
4.CineSB 2017 ( Special Edition Film Festival ) Best Actress for Finish Line by Martin Mayuga.
Singkwento International Film Festival Nominated for Best Actress for Finish Line by Martin Mayuga
Cine Tomasino Film Festival Nominated for Best Actress for Finish Line by Martin Mayuga
Sorok Short Film Festival nominated for film TransParent by Adelaine Clement. Gold prize with 50k and Best Director.
TransParent 2nd prize + 50k last Globe Independent Film Festival 2017.


Comments

  1. A versatile actress indeed.watch out for her performance,I did. She is good

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

XIXI MATURAN : Asia's Hidden Golden Diva

It does sound like a joke. The label is of a level with which only a creative mind can concoct. But . 'Asia's Hidden Golden Diva' was coined by those who have experienced the artistry of Xixi Maturan. Googable and very much into social media, Xixi's alter-ego Paul H Roquia has in almost 25 years indefatigably built an acumen of sorts that involved the rather 'reluctant' vocal stylist in him , developing a musical brew that would perfectly sit on his tenor-ish tone. XIXI MATURAN is not a real person but rather an intriguing character borne out of the hazy, drugged and ambitious energy residue of an artists' group in the 80s.

ON THE SET : Joel Lamangan's 'BES & THE BESHIES' , COMING VERY SOON!

Seven months after shooting Howard Yambao's BEST. PARTEE. EVER. in a slammer in Pampanga; I get to once again be part of a film starring THE COMEDY QUEEN herself, Ms. AIAI DELAS ALAS , with The Joel Lamangan no less at the helm.  A cameo is always welcome; it is a short appearance, with minimal exposure requirements and I get to just be myself or as to how I deem the role should be carried out with.  I play a parlorista who rages on another parlorista [played by Byuti Veloso] ; who I share a chin prominence making us look like twins!  Ms. Aiai's character, a Barangay Kagawad and sort of a 'jane of all trades' pacifies us.  We shot in Proj6, Quezon City and it was a breezy day which made it quite comfortable.  That was on April 2.  I never expected that suddenly I would be called back to do more appearances ; delighted and totally flattered who was I not to oblige? I did three more scenes; two of which were highlights of the hilariously riotous opus that cel